To develop, implement and evaluate the polio demonstration comprising of a community based intervention package for polio eradication.
The project was designed to enhance the children routine immunization coverage and scaling up of proven intervention of IPV (Inactivated Polio Vaccine) in combination with OPV delivered in phase-I of polio demonstration project phase-I. The project aimed to boost population level immunity and improve the health conditions of mothers and children in high risk areas of Karachi, KP, FATA and Balochistan. The objectives were achieved through community engagement/mobilization, effective communication plan for behavioral change and involvement of private sector (GPs and local NGOs) in MNCH services during health camps.
- Following services were provided in the camps through trained medical staff:
- Maternal and Child Health assessment
- Counselling on hygiene, nutrition and routine immunization
- Delivery of nutrition interventions such as micronutrient supplements, Iron supplements and Vitamin A supplements.
- Administration of routine immunization
- Administration of IPV and OPV